Northcott is celebrating the 10 year anniversary of their Stonehenge collection with a Block Party celebration. The Block Party starts March 15th and goes until September 30th, 2019.
How It Works
1. Quilters are invited to visit each participating shop to buy and collect the unique blocks. They can collect as many as they like.
2. Use at least 12 of the collected blocks in a quilt design for the Stonehenge Block Party Quilt Challenge. All blocks used in the quilt design must be from shops they visited and collected from.
3. The quilts must be made of 100% Stonehenge fabrics from the Solstice Anniversary collection with the option of including the Gradations Oxidized Copper palette and the Robin’s Egg green SKU 39300-79. The quilt backing can be any fabric of your choice.
4. The Northcott judges will select 10 finalists and have them send in their quilts for a final round of judging. They will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner!
The deadline to submit your quilt design via Northcott’s online submissions page is December 31st, 2019. As part of your submission, we ask that you include a short description about the blocks you used and list the shops they were purchased from.
The link to the submission page will be available here when the contest begins in March!
Northcott Judging Criteria
The Northcott judges will select 10 finalists by January 31st, 2020 and have them send in their quilts for a final round of judging. The judges will then choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. The judges will be looking for the following:
* Use of Solstice Blocks in quilt design
* Overall impression - all the elements come together for an eye pleasing effect
* Workmanship - quality and attention to detail
* Creativity - inventive and fun details that make the quilt stand out.
Winners will be selected by February 28th, 2020.
1st - The Grand Prize will be a 9 day trip to for to England with a private tour of Stonehenge in June 2020!
2nd - $1,000 USD and a Stonehenge fabric prize pack retail valued at $250
3rd - $500 USD and a Stonehenge fabric prize pack retail valued at $100
The Thread Bear Fabrics Block Party will be on Saturday, March 16th. We will open early at 9:00 and our block party will go until 10:30. Light refreshments will be available. We will have 48 blocks ready to pick-up and the panel and most of the collection is available for purchase. Please note that our next order of fabrics for our blocks will not ship until March 31st, so be sure and come early to be part of the first group to collect our block. After the 2nd shipment arrives all of the collection will be available for purchase. Blocks will be available for purchase until September 30th, 2019 when the block party ends.
We will host a 2nd Block Party in April when our next set of block kits become available. We will notify you of the date in a future newsletter.
Below is a picture of our block. We look forward to your participation in this international event.
Please note that we are not able to sell any block kits prior to Friday, March 15th, 2009. The cost of the kit will be $16.99 and our block will square up to 18.5". Please note that the block pictured above has not received it final squaring so the outside border will be trimmed.
In addition our shop will have an in-store Solstice Panel Quilt Challenge. The panel challenge will start March 15th and go through Novermber 30th, 2019.
How It Works:
To add to the fun and provide more opportunities to win prizes, each participating Block Party shop will be hosting a Solstice Panel Quilt Challenge!
- Quilters are challenged to use the Solstice panel in a creative way to make a quilt no larger than 60”x 60”. The quilt top must be made of 100% Stonehenge fabrics from the Solstice Anniversary collection with the option of including the Gradations Oxidized Copper palette and the Robin’s Egg green SKU 39300-79.
- The quilt backing can be any fabric of your choice.
- The quilt must be finished-quilted and bound. The binding must be a Stonehenge fabric.
- Each participating shop runs their own in-store contest and accepts their local entries.
- You must physically submit your panel quilt to your local participating Block Party quilt shop by November 30th 2019. That shop will judges entries and pick a winner, who will receive a Stonehenge Pre-cut prize!
Stonehenge Solstice Collection Panel
* The Bulloch Hall Quilt Guild is pleased to announce it will host its 37th Annual Quilt Show at historic Bulloch Hall, March 8-17, 2019 in Roswell, GA. This exciting 2019 show will feature over 150 unique, antique, traditional, and art quilts made by local artists and displayed throughout this beautiful antebellum home.
Quilt show hours will be 10:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is: adults, $8.00 seniors, $7.00 children ages 6-18 $6.00, and children under age 6 free. Bulloch Hall is located at 180 Bulloch Avenue in historic Roswell, Georgia. This unique and beautiful mansion is the childhood home of Mittie Bulloch, mother of President Teddy Roosevelt.
*2019 East Cobb Quilt Quild Quilt Show & Market / June 6-8 (Thursday - Friday) / 10 AM to PM / Cobb County Civic Center - 548 South Marietta Parkway SE - Marietta, GA 30060 / Admission $10.00 / Georgia's largest and juried Quilt Show with 325 + quilts created by Georgia artists / Top Quilting Vendors / Quilted Treasures for sale / Basket Raffle / Sewing Studio Raffle / Lapel Pins / Quilt Appraisials / Postcards / Block Party Display / Raffle Quilt "Celebration" / Raffle tickets $1.00 each or 6 tickets for $5.00 / For more information please visit www.ecqg.com
Call for Quilts Deadline 3/29/2019. All Georgia Quilters may enter. Details and Entry Form can be found at www.ecqg.com
As the year advances, we will add to this list as information becomes available to us. If you are interested in or plan to attend one of these events please feel free to stop by the shop and pick up one of the event brochures complete with times, dates, and contact information.
Greetings Quilters!! Hope all is well with you and yours.
It is momentous day indeed!! Janet has actually has given tentative approval of my latest idea!! That is sort of scary in itself – makes me wonder just how much new stuff she has actually ordered that I do not know about?!!
AHH….. MARCH – St Patrick’s Day, green beer, leprechauns, strong winds, the assignation of Julius Caesar, spring, quilt shows, college basketball –YES BASKETBALL…..as in March Madness!
Now, I know many of you are saying, “Oh not another sports season! All my husband wants to do is watch the games on TV”.
We here at Thread Bear have heard you – and we feel your pain. “The Bear” has been working tirelessly long arduous hours to somehow integrate your true love – quilting - with something most men enjoy – sports.
In order to promote the family unit, foster unity, awareness, and mutual respect while working to attain a common goal, I would like to announce The Bear’s March Madness sale!
For those of you who may have been away on Mars for the last month, NCAA college basketball has been churning right along. Starting in mid March, (March 17th is "Selection Sunday") the supposedly best of the best (68 teams this year) play single elimination games until the men’s National Champion is crowned April 8, 2019 in Minneapolis. Being invited to participate has been likened to being asked to the prom. (So is this how high school girls think - "I am the second prettiest girl in school. Except for Gina and she has a zit! So that makes me #1! I am going to prom. Just have to find the guy that will spend the most!")
The entire spectacle is known as “March Madness.” Just think of the dessert, "Death by Chocolate", where basketball is the chocolate.
“Fascinating,” you say “but what has this got to do with quilting?” Well, read on as this is really a “Randy Sale”.
For simplicity’s sake, I have selected the University of North Carolina Tarheels as our team (the choice was entirely random – has nothing to do with the fact I am a NC native and alumni of UNC – purely coincidental!!). I can teach you the words to the fight song, if you are interested. (Just don’t sing it around Janet – she went to that other school - North Carolina State University – BIG RIVIALERY UNC vs. NCSU). Of course, Janet wanted to know "Why UNC? Why not State?"
My reply, "Well, you want someone that's gong to win!" (One of these day her eyes are going to get stuck like that!)
All humility aside, UNC should make the cut. Currently, we are rated 3rd in the nation in the polls.
Once we are named to post season play – the quilting fun begins – for each game UNC wins, customers get 5% off your bill!!
Since it takes 6 wins to be National Champion – you could have a whopping 30% discount!!!! That is the largest discount of the year!!
The only caveat - the sale ends with a loss. So, it is a choice. " I can buy this now for 5% off or gamble on the next game and get it at 10% off". (Sort of like the old "Let's Make a Deal Show" Do you want whats behind curtain #1 or what's in the green box?)
Who knows? Maybe you will after scouring You Tube for the latest Quilting show, you might just slide over to ESPN and check out the latest college basketball injury report.
Your husband, boyfriend, children will be amazed at how multifaceted you have become. You might hear “I never knew” or “I really enjoyed watching the game with you.”
You don’t have to tell them – you already knew you were amazing – it’s good they now have the correct point of view!!
Now I am pretty sure, Stacy Ist Hsu probably did not have this in mind when she designed her new collection, "Best Friends Forever" but, hey - this is about winning. Contained within the collection there is a terrific panel which makes dolls. With a little work, a splash of imagination, and a few of scraps from your stash - whalaa - a great sports Voodoo Doll.
Just think of how "cute" it would look in Duke, Kentucky, Gongaza, or Virginia garb with several 2" glass head pins stuck in it! (Did I fail to mention? We just got the doll panels in and we also just happen to sell the pins in packs of 70 - extra sharp of course!)
I have found from experience, on average most teams do not attempt more than 70 shots per game, but if you feel uneasy - just buy 2 packs of pins!
Oh, and I also forgot to mention, we have two - not one - but two drop dead gorgeous UNC prints in stock! Just a passing thought.
And if all of this is not enough food for thought, here is something for the philosophical - something to ponder - "If God is not a Tarheel, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?"
For our on-line customers the coupon code is UNC for winning the game. The coupon code will be effective the day after the win and will be updated as the team progresses through the bracket (the next day).
Here is a link for a printable bracket - just look up bracketology.
2019 Mens NCAA Basketball Bracket
The odds of getting a perfect bracket are 1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (that's 9.2 quintillion). Your odds are better at winning Mega Millions.
Now for quite some time Warren Buffet (one of the richest people in the world and a big basketball fan) has offered 1 million to anyone with a proven perfect bracket - but he has not said if he is offering the challenge for the 2019 March Madness yet.
Even if you miss out on a cool million - at least you are guaranteed 5% off if UNC - excuse me - when UNC wins!
For the guys -
Guys if you are planning on watching March Madness multiple games without strife read on:
Guys, its inevitable – just like taxes –if you live with a quilter or a fabriholoic – you are going to be asked-“What do you think? Which looks better? What color goes best?” or some variation on one of these questions. You may not have solicited it, but here is some free advice.
1. Think before you engage your mouth. I know it’s hard, but wipe the cobwebs out of your brain and realize what you say affects your quality of life in the very near future. I can assure you, “I don’t care” is the wrong answer. “Whatever you think is fine” also just will not cut it. Even putting a platitude like “dear “at the beginning or end of the response is only going to get you the don’t patronize me glare.
2. Face it, the only way you are going to “see” (maybe I should say enjoy) the 2nd half is to focus for a bit and carefully craft your response. Now mind, you can’t just use your own words even though the large red paisley print looks like a drop of blood ejected from the vanquished knight’s eye surrounded by the black solid and wisps of gold and fingers of orange remind you of the terrible wrath and power of an evil fire breathing dragon. If you tell her this, then she is going to take away your cheese puffs and beer and the 2nd half will definitely not be as good as the 1st.
3. Learn the new language. Point out the colors present and include key words like “focus” , “definition”, “contrast”, “depth”, “perception”, and most definitely “pops”. Maybe even throw in a bit of symbolism – like “Your color selection is terrific – overall it epitomizes the never ending struggle between good and evil. The blacks – the all consuming vastness of evil – the reds and oranges – the battle - the clash of ideas representing diametrically opposed forces in perpetual conflict – and the contrast of the gentle lighter colors – the opposite side of the spectrum – light, hope, - dare I utter it peace. Did you have this in mind when you picked out the colors?”
4. Even though you are ignorant of the meanings and context of anything just said, trust me - she understands all of them. But before she gets too excited and proposes you assist her in designing the next quilt – remind her that you are just a shallow guy with something like “Gota go. Second half is starting” Now is the time for the platitude! As you are walking away toss out “Looks great, honey.”
Enjoy "The Madness" dude!